Skip to main content

The future of mobile computing smells of fruity devices

Ever since WAP came around in 1999 or so I was very interested in mobile (networked) computing. From my perspective the basic ideas around WAP were not so bad - it was an open network, really. But unfortunately, the devices and the networks at the time made the user experience absolutely horrifying. Still, I would call this period the first era in mobile computing (for me, the image that symbolizes this period best is the Nokia 7110, which was Nokia's first real WAP phone, see left). So along came the next era which is best symbolized by Vodafone Life. It is all about operators' walled gardens. Obviously, that approach improved the user experience, especially because content and menus were partly stored on the device. But the big drawback was the closed nature of this approach. It resembled AOL on phones.

Since two weeks I do own a shiny new iPhone and I am convinced that this device marks the beginning of a new age in mobile computing. It combines access to the open Internet and a really good user experience. For the first time IMO the whole Internet is really in my hands wherever I go. Point in case: I switched my morning news browsing at home over to my iPhone (instead of my laptop).

Sure, there were other Internet capable devices before but they were way too cumbersome to use (smartphones) or too narrow in scope (Blackberry, Nokia 770).

I am sure that the iPhone is only the start and that other manufacturers will come up with similar devices (yesterday news broke of Nokia working on an iPhone clone). In this new age of mobile computing a power shift will take place, I believe. In the last era the operators ruled - you could not start a service or do anything useful, really, without their blessing. The next era will be ruled by the device manufacturers. It will be all about devices. That is why Android's potential success or failure is completely undetermined, yet. The software stack might be OK, but we have to see the devices, first.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NoSQL talk at Developer Summit

Three days ago I had to chance to talk about NoSQL at the Internet Briefing's Developer Summit. On top of general ideas and concepts like the CAP theorem I chose to talk about Apache Jackrabbit, CouchDB and Cassandra. My slides are embedded below.
It was a really good event with interesting speakers and a knowledgeable audience. I was especially pleased that when I talked about CouchDB's HTTP API someone from the audience mentioned that Apache Sling does something very similar for Jackrabbit.
Special kudos to Christian Stocker of Liip for daring to do a live demo of the "real-time web" - he took a picture from his phone and had it pop up on Jabber and Twitter in about 5 secs.
Vlad Trifa has posted a good summary of the whole event (part 1, part 2) - he also gave a great presentation about the application of the REST architectural style to the "Web of Things".

No SqlView more presentations from mmarth.

NoSQL: A long-time relation(ship) comes to an end

(cross-posting from here)

OK, I admit it, declaring that "the RDBMS is dead" is a meme that has been going around the software industry for a while. Remember object-oriented data bases that were supposed to replace the relational ones? Well, guess who is still here. However, despite the RDBMS's amazing survival skills I would like to propose a related prediction:

I believe that the year 2009 will go down in history as the year when the "relational model default" ended. The term "relational model default" was coined by me to describe a peculiar thing that goes on in application development: start talking to your average application developer about some arbitrary business requirement and chances are that simultaneously he mentally constructs a relational model to fit those requirements.
That relational approach to modeling your problem may or may not be suitable. The real problem is that all too often this default does not get challenged. As a consequence,…